Funny Business, is a light hearted look at some very serious issues that your business or organization have to address.
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/thestephenjamescomedytroupe/

Friday, March 12, 2010

It’s good to see others’ accomplishments!

Flint Business, Flint People: Have you met Tom Sumner?

Sometimes, looking at others’ accomplishments will make you reflect on your own!

Have you met Tom Sumner? He’s a *Flintoid. (*Flintoid: a name given to someone who lives in the city of Flint and refuses to give up,) You might have listened to him on Off the Kuf on 94.3 FM at 7am, or on Flint Talk Radio with his Worldwide Webcast from 10am to Noon, or with his band Cidy Zoo that he’s the drummer for, or even at Comedy Improv Night at Churchill’s, or at one of the many *symposiums (*formal meeting held for the discussion of a subject, during which individual speakers may make presentations. I wrote this definition in for my Florida educated friends.) he’s hosted, but its about his book “All I Wanted was a Hair Cut” that I want to tell about.

I have just made it through the halfway point of his musings, mostly due to the placement of the book being in my “library” and I want you all to know; you got to get this book.

I found it by accidents, while stopping in to say hello to the folks that work at Page Bookstore in downtown Flint. As we were talking and my telling ‘em how I was renewing my relationship with my new/old home town when the discussion wondered to books written by local writers displayed in a special area of the store. As I perused the offering taking in the understanding that Flint had people that do write, I was amazed at the depth of the works available. Then I came across Tom’s book. Okay, from reading the cover and a couple of paragraphs in the book, one might not think that this is one of those Flintoid deep thinkers. But I was proven wrong later as I read more of it, while sitting in my “library“.

Almost as a joke, I bought the book, mostly so that I could tease Tom that I was the one that bought his only book sold.

Turns out he is a deep thinker, but he doesn’t write in that deep thinker kind of… of… how can I explain it..ah…Big word way!

Oh, Tom’s book might not be a life changer but it’s fun reading about his changes of life. Reading like a combination of the writing styles of Dave Berry, Mark Twain and my front porch sitting, upper grandpa, Tom lets you laugh in the face of his adversity, sadness and all the emotions a “guy” can have.

Tom’s book “All I Wanted was a Hair Cut” is full of insight, foresight, hindsight and laugh lines. His self- deprecating humor covers over the painful and serious moments he writes about. Plus, it’s easy to read while in the “Library”.

Thanks Tom, for sharing yourself with us. You are the kind of renaissance man this town needs and should be proud of having.

Stephen James Comedy Improv & Human Resource Training Consultant Flint, Michigan

If you’re looking to re-energize your Sales Force, inspire your Marketing Department or to encourage your Board to think “Out of the Box”, “The Stephen James Comedy Troupe Corporate Team Building” will work together with you in delivering the message you want to give! Team Building will always be a top priority for today's organizations. Building effective teamwork through leading edge corporate and organizational team building programs is one of “The Stephen James Comedy Troupe” (Corporate Team Training) greatest capabilities! And we make it so much FUN! CONTACT US AT: Email: stephenjamescomedy@gmail.com Phone: 810-618-7517 Website: http://sites.google.com/site/thestephenjamescomedytroupe

Funny Business is a humorous look at some serious issues your business or organizations have to address. http://funnybusinessbystephenjames.blogspot.com/